Key Elements to Write a Killer Maid of Honor Speech/Toast
How exciting, you’ve just been asked to be the Maid of Honor in a wedding! Don’t panic because you were also asked to give a Maid of Honor speech/toast. You haven’t got a clue what to say. You might even be thinking how can I get out of this? I’m not very good at public speaking, maybe I should decline and let someone else do this. It’s ok, we’ve got your back. Remember, you were asked because you are very important to this awesome couple.
Below are some key elements you could use in your speech:
- Introduce yourself
- Be who you are — I’m sure that’s why you were asked to be the maid of honor in the 1st place
- Keep it light
- Tell a funny story about the person who asked you (bride or groom)
- Say something from the heart
- Tell them (bride or groom) what they mean to you
- Thank the bride and groom for asking you to be their maid of honor
- Thank the other bridesmaids for making today (the wedding day) incredible for the bride and groom and for being a HUGE part of this day that they will always remember
- Use a favorite “love” quote
- Remember the wedding day it’s about them not you
- Keep it short
These are all just suggestions to help you get started because honestly that’s the hardest part…….starting. Give yourself plenty of time to write the speech so you’re not doing it at the last-minute. This is a big deal and you don’t want to rush, so start early and take your time. The more time you give to this the better it will be.
Google is a great resource to actually look at speeches/toasts and see examples of how they are written. There are so many different styles and choices you can choose from. You can then adapt one to fit for you and the bride and groom.
Pinterest is also another place to look at examples of maid of honor speeches/toasts. Again there are samples you can get great ideas from.
In my opinion the #1 KEY element in writing a killer maid of honor speech/toast is YOU! You know these people. You’ve shared experiences with them that probably no one else has, or ever will. Draw from your love, knowledge and experiences that you have shared together. From all of these things you will have a killer speech/toast come wedding day!
Hi there, I am Shelly the owner and designer at Melody Creek. We make custom wedding stationery and invitations. We are located in Lafayette, New York. My goal with this blog is to share wedding related topics, tips and advice, do’s and don’ts, amazing ideas and how to’s. We offer so many services at our studio. Please contact us today for a free consultation. We look forward to hearing from you soon.
Have the BEST day!
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!